[aur-general] TU application.

Peter Lewis pete at muddygoat.org
Thu Sep 9 19:06:55 EDT 2010

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

On Thursday 09 September 2010 at 20:57 Thomas Dziedzic wrote:
> I'm just going to reply to some of the things you said.
>
> >1) Maintain popular packages well and reliably.
> >
> >I currently maintain 7 packages in the AUR, and am interested particularly
> >in things relating to science and research (e.g. latex, octave, sage,
> >bibliographic management stuff like mendeley and kbib), as well as KDE
> >things (I've been building and using KDE since version 1.0). And while I
> >think it's ideal when people maintain things that they use themselves,
> >this wouldn't restrict me from taking on other packages that I don't use.
> >
> >See my current packages here:
> >http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?SeB=m&K=petelewis
>
> The only packages that you mentioned your interests in that aren't
> maintained in community are mendeley and kbib.

Oh sure. I wasn't intending to say that that was all I would be doing, just
that those were the types of packages that I would be interested in taking on.
As part of what I was saying about processes and things, I think it could be
nice if people take "ownership" (meaning responsibility, not necessarily
always direct maintainership) over themes. I was just trying to say that I
would be particularly interested in making it my business to check out those
packages in the science category, making sure everything's clean and up to
date.

Incidentally. I don't think that clean is just about clean packages (though
that's obviously important) - it's also about going through and finding old
packages that no longer exist, don't compile on a current system or have the
wrong (non-standard) name etc. and deciding what to do.

> You do have very few packages albeit nice and clean ones. I think that
> you should demonstrate the final thing you mentioned by adopting some
> more packages and cleaning them up so that you at least have 20. Ofc
> this is not required and it's just my opinion. (I think the minimum
> amount of packages any user should have before applying to a TU
> position is 20 nice and clean ones)

Sure, no problem. One reason I hesitated about applying before was exactly
because I don't currently maintain very many packages, but after I read Allan
saying on the forums that it was "perfectly fine to maintain <10 packages"
(https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=103250), I changed my mind.

I took on three more this evening anyway, and will continue to do so.

> I'm just suggesting this so that I know that when TU's apply (not just
> picking on you) that they at least look like they have some minimal
> experience that I expect a TU to have.
>
> >2) Promote Arch and the TU scheme.
> >
> >As I said, I think we need more TUs, while maintaining our high standard.
> >I'd like to promote the TU scheme and get more skilled Arch users to take
> >on maintaining the packages that they use. I think a world where more
> >people maintain a small number of packages each in [community] will lead
> >to a bigger and higher quality [community] repo. We should advertise,
> >with the aim of
>
> I agree.
>
> >having many more TUs. This also means that we shouldn't be afraid of
> >voting people down if they're not yet ready, and give feedback to help
> >them improve and invite them to apply again later. We all benefit from
> >this.
>
> Now I know you can't be angry at me for the previous comments :)

heh heh, not at all :-) Vote with your conscience ;-)

> Can I get your secret beer recipe?

Ha! This is open source beer I'm afraid:

http://petesodyssey.org/homebrewedbeer

Cheers,

Pete.