[aur-general] Why is aur.archlinux.org so slow? :(

Brad Fanella bradfanella at archlinux.us
Wed Sep 8 19:46:39 EDT 2010

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 01:27:39AM +0200, Sven-Hendrik Haase wrote:
>  Whenever I try uploading a reasonably large package to
> aur.archlinux.org, my average speed is around 500KB/s. This appears to
> be an artificial limitation since a server would have at least
> 10/10MBits uplink. I therefore request the speed limit to be disabled in
> order to be able to upload large packages with all available bandwidth
> to increase productivity.
>
> Or is there a reason for the limit?
>
> -- Sven-Hendrik

I assume it is to lower the load the server has. If you have 10 people uploading a package at one time, it is going to put a harder load on the server if you give them the freedom to upload at any speed they choose.

Of course, I don't know how much of load the AUR servers carry, so maybe it was put in place just for security measures, in case somebody tries to spam the server with huge files or something similar.

-- Brad