[aur-general] Why is aur.archlinux.org so slow? :(

Evangelos Foutras foutrelis at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 07:44:03 EDT 2010

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 2:33 PM, Ronald van Haren <pressh at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The issue discussed in this thread is the fact that the server seems
>> to have a bandwidth cap and thus uploads to it are restricted to
>> ~500kB/s.
>
> are you sure about this? Isn't it related to your connection, how many
> hubs it uses and the way it travels to the other side of the ocean?
> I remember that before I moved houses last December I got a reasonable
> upspeed (I think it was faster than 500 kB/s but I'm not sure),
> nowadays I most of the time don't even come close to 500 kB/s. I
> usually blame my connection for it. Well, you would have to ask one of
> the server guys, they probably know better, I'm not sure they read
> this list.
>
> Ronald

I'm not sure, no. Unfortunately, my home connection tops out at
50kB/s, but the ~500kB/s figure comes from older uploads I had done
from pkgbuild.com, back when it was hosted on a Linode VPS. I remember
that the speed remained constant throughout the upload process, so a
5Mb/s cap isn't unreasonable to assume.

Maybe Loui or Dan [1] would know more. I'll try asking them if I catch
them on IRC or Jabber (respectively ;p).

[1] http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DeveloperWiki:Sigurd_%28TU%29