[aur-general] The Arch Way

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Fri Sep 10 11:50:20 EDT 2010

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 16:44, Philipp Überbacher <hollunder at lavabit.com> wrote:
> Excerpts from Ng Oon-Ee's message of 2010-09-10 17:40:35 +0200:

>> > I always prefer a package build from source, but if it's provided in a
>> > portable zip, that is a valid option in this instance. I would say go
>> > with option 2.
>> >
>> > Cheers!
>>
>> It looks like in this case the content of the portable zip is identicaly
>> (just about) to the content of the deb, just that the debs are
>> arch-specific. I'd think its simpler to just go with option 3. Its
>> surprising that any project REQUIRES eclipse to build though, eclipse
>> can generate makefiles which can be shipped with source....
>
> That's why I'd go with option four, kindly ask upstream to fix this.

What exactly is eclipse used for here (I'm completely ignorant, having never
used eclipse myself, so please enlighten me)?

Would it be an option to perform the step requiring eclipse and ship the
result as a patch with the source?

/M

--
Magnus Therning                        (OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4)
magnus@therning.org          Jabber: magnus@therning.org