[aur-general] wwt-svn and wit-svn

Alexander Duscheleit jinks at archlinux.us
Sat Sep 11 13:26:04 EDT 2010

On Thu, 9 Sep 2010 19:31:07 +0200
Xyne <xyne at archlinux.ca> wrote:

> On 2010-09-09 18:49 +0300 (36:4)
> Evangelos Foutras wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 6:10 PM, Antonio Lucas
> > <antonioluccas at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > hi,
> > >
> > > wwt-svn[1] and wit-svn[2] are the same package. Both maintainers
> > > are active, and both packages get the latest version from svn of
> > > this package (even the packages containing a version on them).
> > > what do you guys do in this situations?
> > >

> > > <http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=37504>[1]
> > > http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=34239
> > > [2] http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=37504
> > >
> > > abracos
> > > Antonio Lucas
> >
> > I'm not sure which package should go; wit-svn has a more correct
> > name, but wwt-svn was uploaded first and has more votes.
> >
> > I'm CC'ing the respective maintainers so they can decide which
> > package we should keep. :]
>
> The correct name should always take precedence in my opinion,
> regardless of the number of votes or upload date. It provides a more
> consistent system.
>
> In this case I would recommend that the original uploader be allowed
> to adopt the correctly named package.

I'm the maintainer of the wwt-svn package, the original name of the
program was "Wiimms WBFS Tools", later renamed to "Wiimms ISO Tools". I
didn't catch the rename fast enough and so Gordin created the wit-svn
package.

On one hand I don't care either way which package remains, on the other
hand I'll maintain my PKGBUILD anyway, since I neet those tools in
a semi-professional way. (I "maintain" a Wii in a public place and the
WBFS stuff gives us the possibility to restrict access to the Wii
itself and the original media.)
The build-system is homegrown and needs quite a bit of handholding to
get a proper package.
From a glance at the two PKGBUILDs it seems, mine is a bit more up to
current standards, while Gordin's seems to "do" more, though I'm not
clear to what purpose.