[aur-general] VCS dupes in the AUR

Peter Lewis plewis at aur.archlinux.org
Tue Apr 12 02:58:45 EDT 2011

Done a bit of research...

On Mon, 11 Apr 2011, Stefan Husmann wrote:
>  irssi (VCS)
>  * irssi-svn https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=6163
>  * irssi-git https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=25781

These both seem "official", though the main website points to the SVN repo and
not the git one. However, it seems many contributors are using git since it's
easier to send in patches etc. I couldn't find out how often they're synced, but
I assume it's pretty regular. So, it's probably worth either keeping both, or
just going with git only.

>  tmux (VCS)
>  * tmux-git https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=35618
>  * tmux-cvs https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=25719

Well, the CVS one is the "official upstream", however the main dev also
maintains the git repo with an hourly sync from CVS.

Martti Kühne, maintainer of tmux-cvs said on this list in January:

> tmux-cvs is my package.
> tmux-git is a tmux developer's synchronisation which doesn't use a
> separate build directory, but may come in handy because it's git and
> the commit history is present.

<snip>

> scratch mine as well... tmux-git is just fine.

So tmux-vcs could be deleted, if others agree.

HTH,

Pete.