[aur-general] VCS dupes in the AUR

jwbirdsong jwbirdsong at jwbirdsong.homelinux.com
Thu Apr 14 11:45:38 EDT 2011

On 04/14/2011 09:19 AM, Peter Lewis wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Apr 2011, J. W. Birdsong wrote:

>>> I prefer maintaining svn-versions over git-versions in AUR, because the have
>>> revision numbers as $pkgver, not just a date.
>>>
>>> Regards Stefan
>>
>>   I maintain irssi-svn, but only picked it up some time ago because it needed
>>   fix/updating.  So no big deal if y'all decide it should go.  I suppose as the
>>   discussion on this has grown cold  I'll assume we're going to keep both?
>>   Seem no real conscience was reached.
>
> It probably doesn't matter if we keep both, since both are official, as long as
> both work. So long as maintainers don't feel that their efforts are wasted, that
> is... (admittedly maintaining a -svn or -git package in the AUR requires minimal
> effort.)
>
>>   I'll drop/delete it if needed.  JB
>
> It's not needed, and given Stefan's message, some people will use it. It's up to
> you, as a maintainer, I'd say. Do you have reasons for not using -git?
>
> Pete.

Absolutely none. I'm actually more comfortable/familiar w/ git.
Although Stephan's point about revision numbers is an EXCELLENT point.

As I said previously I only picked package up because it was orphaned
and needed fix/update (don't remember which).
Going on AUR votes only it seems to be the more popular package.
Will keep it around (for now :) )
Thanks to all