[aur-general] Aurphan in community

Grigorios Bouzakis grbzks at xsmail.com
Sat Apr 30 02:39:11 EDT 2011

Loui Chang wrote:
> On Fri 29 Apr 2011 21:49 -0400, keenerd wrote:
>> I would like to move Aurphan into community.  I've added a number of
>> features to it lately, and it has become an automated means of
>> answering "what can I do to help Arch", parsing and summarizing the
>> todo list, the bugtracker and the orphans.  The one random dev I've
>> asked seems cool with it, however he thought a wider consensus should
>> be found.  It has enough votes but....
>>
>> Aurphan could be considered an AUR helper.  By default it searches the
>> AUR for AUR packages you already have installed.  It does not download
>> anything.
>>
>> I will change it so the default behavior does not search the AUR.
>> (New default would display the --help)  I won't change the name, on
>> account of it being cute.
>
>> aur page: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=43726
>> project page: http://kmkeen.com/aurphan/
>
> This script seems like a really nice idea, but if it deals with
> unsupported packages it should remain in that domain. Maybe move the
> functionality that deals with unsupported into an add-on that you can
> install separately?

Didn't the extremely popular powerpill also have support for the AUR?
Although i had never used it, i seem to recall it did, and it was in
community.
Also from your reply on [0] and particularly the "Functionality needs to
be moved to the clients for the better future of the AUR." part, i got
the impression that the TU's might actually be considering creating or
baptising an AUR client official pretty soon. Or even many, by including
them in community. The AUR isn't usable 100% from the web interface like
it was before and users are pratically forced to use one of the many
unofficial clients. Considering that and your reply it would make sense
doing so.

[0]: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.arch.tur.user/19831
( from http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.arch.tur.user/19798 )

----