[aur-general] Aurphan in community

Loui Chang louipc.ist at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 03:36:48 EDT 2011

On Sat 30 Apr 2011 16:12 +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
> On 30/04/11 12:25, Loui Chang wrote:
> >On Fri 29 Apr 2011 21:49 -0400, keenerd wrote:
> >>I would like to move Aurphan into community.  I've added a number of
> >>features to it lately, and it has become an automated means of
> >>answering "what can I do to help Arch", parsing and summarizing the
> >>todo list, the bugtracker and the orphans.  The one random dev I've
> >>asked seems cool with it, however he thought a wider consensus should
> >>be found.  It has enough votes but....
> >>
> >>Aurphan could be considered an AUR helper.  By default it searches the
> >>AUR for AUR packages you already have installed.  It does not download
> >>anything.
> >>
> >>I will change it so the default behavior does not search the AUR.
> >>(New default would display the --help)  I won't change the name, on
> >>account of it being cute.
> >
> >>aur page: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=43726
> >>project page: http://kmkeen.com/aurphan/
> >
> >This script seems like a really nice idea, but if it deals with
> >unsupported packages it should remain in that domain. Maybe move the
> >functionality that deals with unsupported into an add-on that you can
> >install separately?
>
> We should also drop wget, curl and firefox from the repos as they can be
> used to download unsupported packages...   In fact, this script is safer
> because it does not even do that.

Allan, I appreciate your work but you completely missed the point.
wget, curl and firefox do not contain functionality to specifically
access the unsupported packages. They are general network programs.

I guess it depends on what your vision is. If you want more people
expecting support for unsupported packages, then put these scripts into
extra or community. I can't stop you, I'm just a lowly nobody and you're
a big bad dev.