[aur-general] Qt 4.8 hits [testing] + qtwebkit package

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Wed Dec 21 18:38:15 EST 2011

Quoting Ionut Biru (2011-12-22 00:12:04)
>On 12/22/2011 01:09 AM, Philipp Überbacher wrote:
>> Quoting Andrea Scarpino (2011-12-19 19:17:08)
>>> Hi all,
>>> the last Qt major release is in [testing].
>>> For the upstream changes see the Qt ChangeLog[1].
>>>
>>> About the Arch Linux packaging, the libqtwebkit library isn't shipped with the
>>> qt package anymore, but with the new qtwebkit package.
>>>
>>> We rebuilt our packages in [extra] and [community] to add this new dependence.
>>> If you find a package which links to libQtWebKit.so.4, but doesn't depend on
>>> qtwebkit, please report us the bug using bugs.archlinux.org.
>>>
>>> AUR maintainers are encouraged to check their packages to see if they links to
>>> libQtWebKit.so.4, then add the new dependence.
>>>
>>> [1] http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2011/12/15/qt-4-8-0-released/
>>>
>>> --
>>> Andrea
>>
>> Seems like there's another new dependence, qtwebkit pulls in phonon,
>> this didn't happen when it was part of qt. Why is this?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Philipp
>>

>because in the past he didn't built html5 support in qt. It would be
>insane(from kde perspective) to have gstreamer as dependency for qt :)
>
>--
>Ionuț

I find it strange that suddenly phonon is forced down every Qt users
throat while phonon is already superseded by other APIs. Apparently
those newer APIs use gstreamer as backend on Linux.

"Even though support for Phonon in Qt will continue for the 4.x series,
Qt has already replaced Phonon with QtMultimedia and QtMobility."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonon_%28KDE%29

I simply don't know what I'd need phonon for, the Qt audio/video
programs I use use different audio/video APIs anyway (mplayer, jack).
It's just yet another unneeded thing from my pov.

Regards,
Philipp