[aur-general] Moving packages to Community

Thomas S Hatch thatch45 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 13:45:20 EST 2011

On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 11:31 AM, Gergely Imreh <imrehg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Recently a couple of my packages have been moved to Community but the
> process feels a little uneasy to me.
>
> My impression is that AUR is treated as a "second class" source of
> packages compared to the official repos. Not surprising, of course, so
> many packages have problems. This is also underlined by the fact that
> yaourt and other AUR managers are not allowed in the official repos,
> as "not to give the impression that AUR is official" (paraphrasing
> what I've read before).
>
> If there is indeed this divide, it feels more than little weird, that
> popular packages are just taken in to Community without even asking
> the current managers. It gives me the message that "AUR has no value,
> except when we say it has, at which time thanks for your work but now
> bugger off". I beg your pardon, if it comes through too harsh. I
> wouldn't have objected to have those packages moved. I, however,
> object to unilateral decisions.
>
> My proposition is: could it be a policy to check with the maintainer
> first before initiating a move? If someone wants to keep a package
> then they should be able to, especially since they could not have been
> doing such a a bad job if their package has become popular.
>
> Cheers,
>   Greg

Greg, You have a valid point, personally I have always asked the maintainer
of a package for objections before moving a package into community. I also
want to continue to express my deep gratitude for the packagers who
contribute to the AUR. They are really the frontline in Arch development,
the blood on the knife's edge.

We as trusted users need to show the devs in the AUR the utmost respect and
appreciation. I would also like to point out:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/TU_Person_Specification
All TUs we should adhere to the first bullet under "At Least" on this wiki
entry.

I hope that my fellow TUs agree that we should give AUR contributors the
utmost respect, they deserve it.

A behavior of respect will help us, the TUs, improve Arch, it will allow us
to bring more people onto the Arch development teams, and continue our march
to making Arch greater.

-Thomas S Hatch
-Arch Linux Trusted User