[aur-general] Moving packages to Community

Ángel Velásquez angvp at archlinux.org
Sat Feb 5 13:54:12 EST 2011

2011/2/5 Gergely Imreh <imrehg at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> Recently a couple of my packages have been moved to Community but the
> process feels a little uneasy to me.

First of all remove that "my" before packages, that's a problem, some
maintainers thinks that they're owners of the PKGBUILD, and isn't like
this, all PKGBUILDS belongs to the Arch Linux project, and you
contribute with them if you want, isn't an obligation.

> My impression is that AUR is treated as a "second class" source of
> packages compared to the official repos. Not surprising, of course, so
> many packages have problems. This is also underlined by the fact that
> yaourt and other AUR managers are not allowed in the official repos,
> as "not to give the impression that AUR is official" (paraphrasing
> what I've read before).

Not at all, many of the packages on official repos belongs to AUR in
sometime, AUR is a playground, where you can find scripts for install
(PKGBUILD) experimental software.

> If there is indeed this divide, it feels more than little weird, that
> popular packages are just taken in to Community without even asking
> the current managers. It gives me the message that "AUR has no value,
> except when we say it has, at which time thanks for your work but now
> bugger off". I beg your pardon, if it comes through too harsh. I
> wouldn't have objected to have those packages moved. I, however,
> object to unilateral decisions.
>
> My proposition is: could it be a policy to check with the maintainer
> first before initiating a move? If someone wants to keep a package
> then they should be able to, especially since they could not have been
> doing such a a bad job if their package has become popular.

Absolutely no, as I said PKGBUILD doesn't belongs to anybody, just the
project, if a Dev or TU take one of them and move it to any official
repo is good to you, that means that the software that you were
packaging by hand it will be on binary 'cause is pretty stable and not
experimental at all.

I understand your point about, I'm giving my time and receive nothing,
well dude, you should give without expecting anything, and you will be
more happier. I also understand the point about TU/Devs didn't said
anything to the PKGBUILD that you were maintaining will become a
package, well, maybe a little courtesy from the TU or Dev who did this
is good, but he doesn't have to ask your permission, remember you
contribute with the project giving your effort on those PKGBUILD but
that doesn't imply that you are owner of those PKGBUILD.

Thanks for contributing with the Arch Linux project, And I hope now
you will contribute without hoping regalies or something.

--
Angel Velásquez
angvp @ irc.freenode.net