[aur-general] Moving packages to Community

Nicky726 nicky726 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 17:26:06 EST 2011

Hi Angel,

> This is opensource world dude, can you see it?, so forget those
> "autorship" and "license" of those PKGBUILD, plus, in many cases, many
> of the packages went from one people to another. Btw I don't know why
> people refers to packages when we are talking about aurballs
> containing PKGBUILD, this is different from a package.

I feared the "authorship" word may get too much of attention. Its a sad result
of ugly missuse of todays. The authorship I meant -- and sorry for not making
myself clear the first time -- is a relation of one who creates to the thing
created, or of all who create that is too. No licence fees, nor revenues, nor
copyright needed, nor asked for. Just simple A (+ B) created this
PKGBUILD/package -- the difference now is unimportant.

> As Ioni said, he kept the Contributor tag, I don't see the point of
> whining if your work as a maintainer is recognized on that PKGBUILD
> but I don't see the point of contributing expecting recognition, we
> are humans, I know, but what can make you happier than the fact that
> your work evolved and now you have opportunity to evolve with it too
> (i.e maintaining new PKGBUILD and then applying to be a TU).

I also think that keeping the contributor tag is right. And I also am happy
when my PKGBUILD gets promoted to repo. Though I'd be happier if I heard from
the TU first (than finding out some day accidentaly that the PKGBUILD is not in
the AUR anymore but now in the [community] as mentioned somewhere here). It is
not as much of my own happiness -- though it motivates one if he hears it from
the TU not just finds out accidentaly -- as also of bothsides politeness.

> We eventually show our respect to the author to notice him that we do
> will move your package,

Now with this I would be maximaly fine.

> but it's arrogant and too stupid to pretend
> that a TU or Dev have to `ask you for permission`

I guess I see your point. This is too strong. Though there should be some kind
of inner `I have to ask him` comming from one's human politenes. Like `I want
to move foo to community, is it ok with you? By the way good job maintaining
it.` Most of the time the answer would be `yes` of course, but this motivates
one to contribute. And sometimes one would answer `I am planning to become TU
soon and would like to maintain this, so would you wait with the adoption till
my becoming TU is resolved?` Now that does motivate too, doesn't it?

> <--- THIS IS
> MADNESS, you aren't the owner of that PKGBUILD ! even if you wrote it
> from scratch! the next thing after from asking for permission will be
> "please pay me" .. so hell no.

For myself I contribute to Arch because I feel in a way obliged to, as it is a
great distro which gave me much. So I hope stuff I put into AUR makes Arch
better and help others. I want no money for it, just polite human comunication
of what is going on.

By the way, thanx for baring with me,
Nicky

--