[aur-general] AUR & Copyright

Xyne xyne at archlinux.ca
Sun Feb 6 18:21:03 EST 2011

Ray Rashif wrote:

> Sorry, bad comparison, then. I'm not really sure what to compare it
> with. We've never had to talk about things like this before (so
> probably the time has come you would say). First of all, we've never
> had people claiming "rights" to PKGBUILDs.

I agree that it is unlikely to be a problem, but the best thing to do is
deal with the eventuality rather than continue with naive optimism.

What needs to be done, imo:
* decide on a permissive license or public domain for submitted files
* add a clearly visible notification
* add a note concerning the submission of files that cannot be redistributed,
  e.g. a copyrighted icon included in the upload
* hope that no previous author ever shows up to claim copyright before the
  addition of the notice