[aur-general] [Announcement] First public git repo of the complete AUR.

Thomas Dziedzic gostrc at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 10:21:25 EST 2011

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 6:22 PM, Loui Chang <louipc.ist at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun 06 Feb 2011 17:52 -0600, Thomas Dziedzic wrote:
>> >
>> > Hey, you are stealing my idea!  :-)  AUR3 does that, and it saves
>> > several hundred megabytes.  Completely worth it.
>>
>> I fail to see how this is worth it, imo, a better system is to convert
>> to git and not track the src.tar.gz
>>
>> Is there a good reason for this switch? To save 450mb is not a good
>> reason imo, for an incomplete listing of all the files.
>
> Well, there are several reasons. Lukas' commit message from commit ec0dfc2
> briefly summarizes it.
>
>> Automatic tarball extraction was vulnerable in different ways. Users
>> should also only use source tarballs to build packages, so this has
>> been removed completely. From now on, only the PKGBUILD is extracted
>> in a secure manner.
>
> Also,
>
> I'm not really sure that git is the best way to distribute source
> packages, but I'm glad that you're exploring different options. :D
>
> If I want to obtain or share a few build scripts for a few packages I
> really don't want to keep a 450mb repo.
>
> I have heard about shallow checkouts being implemented in git though, so
> maybe it could work. devtools uses subversion at least partially because
> of this large checkout issue.

Well, whatever the case, I stayed up a while working on finishing this
new version of the system.
The new version syncs only the .tar.gz files, which makes it less
resource hungry, and this also adds a natural ability to commit per
packages :)
I still need to test out deleting functionality, so if you could run
the cleanup script at some point today, that would be awesome.

Cheers!