[aur-general] AUR & Copyright

Kaiting Chen kaitocracy at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 12:03:23 EST 2011

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 2:36 AM, Gordon JC Pearce <gordonjcp at gjcp.net> wrote:

> I'm going to jump in and say that you may consider any of my PKGBUILDs to
> be under the WTFPL (google it, text may not be worksafe if they object to
> Anglo-Saxon epithets.  I'm sure you get the idea).

Speaking of which I never understood how it was possible for a jurisdiction
to not have the concept of a 'public domain' (thus necessitating the WTFPL).
For example, where does a patented process go after the expiration of the
patent?

Oh and once again I vote we public domain (or as close as possible) all
PKGBUILD's in the AUR.

And one last point I want to bring up. Often PKGBUILD's are distributed with
patches or other works not written by the author of the PKGBUILD. I'm not an
expert but it seems to me that the license on the PKGBUILD would have to be
compatible with the license on each such bundled work. --Kaiting.

--
Kiwis and Limes: http://kaitocracy.blogspot.com/