[aur-general] How to handle installers in PKGBUILDs

Sven-Hendrik Haase sh at lutzhaase.com
Wed Feb 9 07:13:22 EST 2011

Michael Schubert <mschu.dev at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi, I am already maintaining a couple of PKGBUILDs and wanted to add one for CellDesigner, which is used to model biochemical pathways. The download is only available as binary package with its own installer. Now, I thought that I could use the installer inside a PKGBUILD with $pkgdir as root. However, the installer cross-references some files in others with absolute paths, i.e. when the package is installed it still links to the build dir instead of the system dir. Because of the way the cross-refs are inserted, simple sed'ing these does not work. The obvious solution would be to use fakeroot/chroot in the $pkgdir and use to to emulate a root directory structure. My question now is: (1) am I on the right track and (2) is there any standard way to do this in PKGBUILDs? I couldn't find any sample PKGBUILDs concerning this issue and the ArchWiki contains no information either. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers, Michael

You often can extract the archive portion of a binary installer using 7zip. Try that first.