[aur-general] AUR & Copyright

Xyne xyne at archlinux.ca
Thu Feb 10 06:28:28 EST 2011

On 2011-02-07 09:13 -0200 (06:1)
Bernardo Barros wrote:

> 2011/2/6 Ray Rashif <schiv at archlinux.org>:
> > # Copyright 1999-2011 Gentoo Foundation
> > # Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
>
> But Arch is a legal entity? Can we put "Arch" as the copyright holder?

That would make it possible for Arch to prevent packagers from distributing
their own packages. It would almost certainly never happen, but naive optimism
is a bad thing. I have seen OSS projects sell out to corporations before.

That's also why I remove the "or any later version" clause from anything that I
release under the GPL. No one can guarantee that there will never be a major
loophole in a future version, or that all future versions will be in the same
spirit.