[aur-general] AUR & Copyright

Pierre Chapuis catwell at archlinux.us
Fri Feb 11 11:42:00 EST 2011

 On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 13:17:29 +0000, Michael Schubert
 <mschu.dev at gmail.com> wrote:
>> As long as the maintainer (aka copyright holder) are allowed to
>> specify
> their
>> own license then I'd be fine with it, though.
>
> Copyright holders are always allowed to publish their work under any
> additional license. No issue there.

 Well, except when you adopt a package. Then there are two copyright
 holders and things get ugly.

 I think this discussion is pointless anyway: PKGBUILDs are build
 recipes,
 not code. They usually do not contain enough information to be
 license-able.
 So even if someone stuck a copy of the GPL at the top of a PKGBUILD I
 would
 simply ignore it, because he had no right to put a license on
 "./configure;
 make; make install" or something similar in the first place.

--
 Pierre 'catwell' Chapuis