[aur-general] Adding AUR packages to [community] packages' provides

Lukas Fleischer archlinux at cryptocrack.de
Fri Feb 25 06:12:15 EST 2011

Well, I'm addressing current blacklisting issues with the AUR [1].  I
noticed that some of the packages in the official repos have AUR
packages as provides, some of them (well, at least one of them, didn't
search for more) were even added due to FRs [2]. Donnu if this applies
to [core] and [extra] as well.

Is that regular practice? Imho, we shouldn't do that. The AUR is
something to be considered separately. If we start to care about
provides/conflicts with AUR packages, we'll need to add all
"-devel"/"-svn"/"-git"/"-beta" packages in the AUR to the official
packages conflicts and provides as well. And we'll need to start
searching for alternative repos to ensure there's no conflict with our
official packages.

Seriously, we should be consistent here.

[1] http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-general/2011-February/013811.html
[2] https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/16495