[aur-general] tenshi

Xyne xyne at archlinux.ca
Sat Jan 1 15:15:07 EST 2011

Florian Pritz wrote:

> I noticed tenshi [1] hasn't been updated for quite a while and I'd like
> to maintain it (and perl-io-bufferedselect which is a dependency in
> newer versions and not yet in AUR/repos) in community if 1) the current
> maintainer is okay with that and 2) three TUs agree because it sadly
> doesn't satisfy the 10 votes or 1% usage rule.
>
> I've got a working PKGBUILD for 0.12 and I'm already using it on my
> systems. In case I can't move it to community I'll publish that later.
>
> CC'ing the current maintainer (Ryan).

> --
> Florian Pritz -- {flo,bluewind}@server-speed.net

There are two unrelated issues here. The first is that you want to actively
maintain a package that you use and which appears to be neglected by its
current maintainer. If the maintainer does not update the package in response
to your email or says that you can take it, then it's obviously fine for you to
take it. The maintainer may respond by updating it though, as he's been active
as recently as October.

The second issue is one of moving this to [community]. The package has been in
the AUR for 3 years yet only has 6 votes. I doubt that it takes long to
compile either, so why do you want to move it to [community]? I see no benefit
in doing, and it will only complicate maintenance for you. I think you should
just maintain it in the AUR, at least until it reaches the vote threshold.

Regards,
Xyne