[aur-general] xbmc-svn and skins removal request

Yaro Kasear yaro at marupa.net
Tue Jan 4 09:58:10 EST 2011

On Tuesday, January 04, 2011 08:44:17 am Jelle van der Waa wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-01-04 at 15:18 +0100, Vlad George wrote:
> > Hello TUs,
> >
> > please remove "xbmc-svn" (http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=20156)
> > as it is now succeeded by xbmc-git
> > (http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=45036). Also please remove the
> > unmaintained xbmc skins:
> > http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?O=0&K=xbmc&do_Orphans=Orphans&detai
> > l=1&C=0&SeB=nd&SB=n&SO=a&PP=100 All the skins in the AUR aren't needed
> > anyway, because skins use now the add-on interface and are now installed
> > locally through xmbc.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Vlad
>
> Hi,
>

> Removed xmbc-svn.
>
> As for the skins isn't it nice to let them be managed by pacman, mean
> gtk themes are also in AUR.

Lets put it this way: KDE allows you to get stuff for theming on its own
tools, yet the AUR and, I believe, community and extra, all have themes and
other extras for KDE.

I don't think the program having a capacity for getting themes for itself is
really cause for removing theme packages, especially in the event that the
software getting its own themes doesn't work reliably.

However, quite a few of these themes PKGBUILDs are out of date and still think
XBMC is installed outside of /opt, which needs to be fixed.