[aur-general] TU Application -Thomas Hatch

Thomas S Hatch thatch45 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 13:10:15 EST 2011

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 11:01 AM, Thomas Dziedzic <gostrc at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 11:49 AM, Thomas S Hatch <thatch45 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hello, ArchLinux Tus
> >
> > Xyne has agreed to sponsor me as a TU. I am very excited at the potential
> > opportunity to become more directly involved with the development of
> > ArchLinux.
> >
> > I atteneded Southern Utah University (SUU) where I studied Computer
> Science.
> > While at SUU I set up one of the first American ArchLinux mirrors, a
> mirror
> > which is still in operation – locke.suu.edu. At SUU I also worked as a
> > research assistant and developed a (now defunct) Linux distribution based
> on
> > Arch called Axiom Linux for rediculously parallel compute clusters. It
> was
> > based on Larch and involved a modified Arch installer, (this was before
> the
> > aif days).
> >
> > Since then I have worked as a trainer for Red Hat, then a systems
> software
> > developer for a United States DOD contractor and I am presently employed
> as
> > a Sr Systems Engineer at Beyond Oblivion.
> >
> > My contributions to Arch so far have been:
> >
> > Created and maintained a working puppet package for Arch, and updated the
> > existing puppet pacman code.
> >
> > Ported libguestfs to Arch, this involved working with the libguestfs
> > developers to create a build port specific to Arch since the build
> process
> > requires the creation of a specialized Arch Qemu Vm image.
> >
> > Set up MooseFS support for Arch – This is a VERY cool project that I
> > strongly recommend people take a look at : moosefs.org
> >
> > I have been working on standardizing the Ocaml packages for Arch and
> > currently maintain about 25 Ocaml packages.
> >
> > I am the author of the Varch Project:
> >
> > http://code.google.com/p/varch/
> >
> > My packages and project staging repo is at:
> >
> > http://code.google.com/p/enterprise-archlinux/
> >
> > I am working on a project that I hope will greatly benefit Arch called
> > quarters:
> >
> > http://code.google.com/p/quarters/
> >
> > It is still sparse, I just started a re architect
> >
> > And my packages for you to look over:
> >
> > https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?SeB=m&K=thatch45
> >
> > All in all, I am deeply passionate about open source and Linux, I believe
> in
> > the pragmatic approach to Linux and have continued to find Arch as one
> of,
> > if the the, superior Linux distribution out there today, not only in
> > principal, but also in engineering.
> >
> > My hope is to assist in bringing ArchLinux further into the forefront of
> the
> > overall Linux community and to continue to port enterprise grade software
> > Arch.
> >
> > Hopefully my current contributions suffice to allow me to work as a TU,
> [...]

At this point yes, mostly things like puppet and libguestfs (of course
puppet still relies on ruby 1.8, so that will have to wait a bit still). One
of my goals is really to bring more automation and virtualization support to
Arch.

Also to bring in things like func and certmaster, and to package more
automation systems than just puppet.

I also want to bring a number of technologies used by Red Hat to Arch, and
by technologies I mean more along the lines of copying things that we know
have worked for other distros.  This would involve the quarters project and
varch of course (so koji for redhat == quarters for Arch; thincrust for
redhat == varch for Arch). but also get a number of the fedorahosted
projects that could benefit Arch ported over (I still need to query which
ones to bring over).

That, and anything I can come up with that would benefit Arch of course :)