[aur-general] Does anyone use tdl?

Thomas S Hatch thatch45 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 17:33:51 EST 2011

On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 2:51 PM, Kaiting Chen <kaitocracy at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 4:18 PM, Thomas S Hatch <thatch45 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The next argument would be to incorporate a server side solution, that
> just
> > traces how many times individual files are downloaded. The problem here
> is
> > that it requires that we ask the mirrors to all run mirror side traces,
> and
> > I highly doubt they would all go for it.
> >

> Use a single central server that proxies all requests to individual
> mirrors.
> Then you track at the site of the central server. --Kaiting.
>
> --
> Kiwis and Limes: http://kaitocracy.blogspot.com/

Ahh! That would work for tracking, I should have thought of that. but then
the user can still directly attach to mirrors and the results are skewed
again, and you know that they would, since the proxy is not always going to
make the best choice for them, at least it sure doesn't work on Fedora!

But when all is said and done I don't think that adding layers to the repo
would be a good move, it creates an over complication to the pacman process,
and for tracking. This is clearly a Heisenberg issue, adding complexity to
track something has changed the basic nature of that which is being tracked.

Mainly my comments were more along the line of exploring the issue, in the
end I think that just writing up some guidelines for moving packages out
of the binary repos would be a good idea, adding engineering to the problem
on the level I have described would be non KISS IMHO.

-Tom