[aur-general] delete request

Xyne xyne at archlinux.ca
Tue Jan 11 13:49:02 EST 2011

Peter Lewis wrote:

> > Sleep? What is this "sleep" you speak of?
>
> Where's Xyne when you need him?
>
> I think you mean "sleep of which you speak" ;-P

Meh, I disagree with the rule not to end sentences with a preposition.
Sometimes it's just the most natural way to phrase it. Afaik, it only gained
acceptance due to its use as a shibboleth. I wouldn't be surprised if it were
dreamt up by the same Latin grammarians who decided that "to" is part of the
verb's infinitive and thus should never be split from it. If I ever find their
graves, I intend *to gladly spit* on them.

The only "grammatical error" that annoys me is when people use "and I" when it
should be "and me", and that's only because they are actively trying to speak
"correctly" and yet failing miserably.

"I went to the store." -> "My friend and I went to the store."
"The owner threw me out." -> "The owner threw my friend and me out."

"The owner threw I out." FAIL
"The owner threw my friend and I out." Same thing. FAIL.

Hypercorrectionism ftl.

*heads off to get his Grammar Nazi promotion*