[aur-general] TU Application - Seblu

Seblu seblu at seblu.net
Sun Jan 16 17:39:20 EST 2011

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 11:18 PM, Lukas Fleischer
<archlinux at cryptocrack.de> wrote:
> In my understanding, the Arch Way implies that there shouldn't be
> hundreds of versions with different patches or compilation options in
> the repositories, but only a single package that provides a working
> environment with sane defaults and as little patching as possible.
> Users, who would like to have some feature enabled/disabled, can use the
> ABS to build modified packages and can upload such modified packages to
> the AUR if they want to share them.
I share this point of view!

> Of course, there are exceptions. boinc-nox and emacs-nox are probably in
> the repos because there's a large number of users that don't need X
> support and building customized packages takes a while (just a guess).
In my opinion mtr-cli _is_ like emacs-nox. it drops X (gtk) support,
to a tool which is more used in a term on host without X.
But question is about popularity. Emacs and mtr are not comparable.
The point that I defend is : mtr-cli is an important network tools
which should be used without X.

> So if there's a good reason to include mtr-cli as well, I don't have any
> objections.
>

> 's alright then. Just wondered as it was in the list of packages you'd
> like to include in [community] :)
Yes... my list was build too long time ago, actualy, the first time I
thought of becoming TU.
My apologies.

--
Sébastien Luttringer