[aur-general] [arch-general] Please settle 'base' in 'depends' for all

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Wed Jan 19 01:25:29 EST 2011

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 00:19:50 -0500, Kaiting Chen wrote:
> Okay everyone, every time I ask I get a different answer. According to
> Dziedzic and Allan 'glibc' does *not* belong in 'depends'. Also Dziedzic
> votes that *no* package in 'base' should be in 'depends'. Can we settle once
> and for all what the correct policy is? And then can we update the wiki page
> and all of these packages
> http://www.archlinux.org/packages/core/i686/glibc/so that they reflect
> the policy? --Kaiting.

Every direct dependency needs to be listed in depends even if that for
dependencies that are in base. This is important because packages might
appear and disappear in the base group and last but not least pacman
needs to know in which order packages need to be installed. The last one
is especially important for the installer. We also cannot assume that
people have installed every package from the base group.

This is different for packages from base-devel though. They don't need
to be listed as makedepends.

Greetings,

Pierre