[aur-general] [arch-general] Please settle 'base' in 'depends' for all

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Wed Jan 19 08:19:33 EST 2011

On 19/01/11 23:07, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Am 19.01.2011 14:07, schrieb Allan McRae:
>> Its has been many years since I did graph theory... but isn't a
>> "transitive closure" essentially what we have been doing with only
>> listing the top level of dependencies and having them cover the rest?
>
> It's the exact opposite. You list all dependencies, and dependencies of
> dependencies, and ...

Ah...  OK. then I don't understand this:

On 19/01/11 22:49, Magnus Therning wrote:
 > Well, if the creation of the transitive closure of dependencies is
 > created at package build time, then it can be removed from pacman,
 > that should give a bit of a speed-up I suspect.

When pacman does dependency checks, it checks if the package listed in
the dependencies is installed.  It does not check if all its
dependencies are installed too (as it is assumed that was done at the
time the dependency was installed).  If we list the transitive closure
of dependencies, then pacman has to perform extra checks and so will not
give a speed-up.

Allan