[aur-general] [arch-general] Please settle 'base' in 'depends' for all

Pierre Chapuis catwell at archlinux.us
Wed Jan 19 09:07:33 EST 2011

 On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 23:59:55 +1000, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org>
 wrote:

> Huh?  How is no dependency checks (-Sd) equivalent to complete
> dependency checking (-S with a transitive closure of dependencies)?
> They are polar opposites.

 What I mean is that if a transitive closure of dependencies is
 performed at packaging time, then there is no need to check for
 dependencies when installing the original package.

 Here is an example:

 A depends on B and D
 B depends on C
 C depends on D and E

 Currently the deps will be:

 A -> B,D
 B -> C
 C -> D,E

 When installing A, Pacman will:

 1) check deps for A, start installing B and D
 2) check deps for B and D, start installing C
 3) check deps for C, start installing E

 With a transitive closure scheme at packaging time, the
 deps would be:

 A -> B,C,D,E
 B -> C,D,E
 C -> D,E

 When installing A, Pacman could simply install B, C, D and E
 *without* checking their deps (-Sd) because these deps are
 necessarily already included in those for A.

--
 Pierre 'catwell' Chapuis