[aur-general] TU Application - Seblu

Loui Chang louipc.ist at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 06:13:49 EST 2011

On Fri 21 Jan 2011 21:38 +0200, Ionuț Bîru wrote:
> On 01/21/2011 09:10 PM, Grigorios Bouzakis wrote:
> >Seblu wrote:
> >>It looks like a trick question!
> >>But if I want to be a good maintainer, I do understand the reasons.
> >>
> >>and **The trust does not exclude the audit.**
> >
> >Excuse me for asking but is there anything preventing you from moving
> >cairo-xcb to community if you become a TU?
>
> Yes, us.
>
> >As far as i know if you become a TU you can maintain anything you want
> >that has more than 10 votes in the AUR.
>
> Becoming a TU means that you become a member in the developement team, a
> team in which we trust each other, respect each other decisions, use the
> same packaging standards, the same tools as developers etc.

I think if the package meets the guidelines then you shouldn't bully
someone into not maintaining it. As long as he's providing the support
that should suffice. Sometimes we may need to adjust the guidelines, and
we decide this as a group through a formal vote.

> If you are just going to ignore and say, screw Jan decisions, I'm going to
> upload it just because I can, you are not welcomed in the team.

The TUs are a separate group in the Arch community who can make
different decisions on what or what not to maintain.

> >In the past theres been many patched beyond recongnition packages in
> >community eg. many packages with lcd patches from ubuntu, urxvt with 256
> >colour support and many other patches included etc.
>
> Do a list with the current packages that doesn't follow the arch way and i
> will take care of them.

> >AFAIK the reason awesome was removed from community was that JGC removed
> >the cairo backend from the package in extra AND the awesome maintainer
> >didnt want to maintain a cairo-xcb package himself.
> >If he did awesome would still be in community...
>
> He respected the decision and trusted Jan because we are a team and we have
> to work together to accomplish a goal.

I would encourage him to not be bullied out of maintaining things that
he would like to maintain in community. As long as they are not really
creating more work for anyone than himself, they should be fine.