[aur-general] The songbird mess

Xyne xyne at archlinux.ca
Wed Jul 20 12:26:26 EDT 2011

Det wrote:

> Hey,
>
> This one (I hope) even has the links correctly defined.
>
> songbird: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=7286
> * A binary package, wrong naming (there's songbird-bin in the AUR too)
>
> songbird-nightly-bin: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=32932
> * Maintained, but severly out-of-date
> * Wrong naming
> * Replaced by songbird-auto-nightly
>
> songbird-auto-nightly: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=39911
> * Wrong naming
> * The contents of this one should replace that of songbird-nightly -
> this should be removed afterwards
>
> songbird-nightly: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=13193
> * Actually has the correct naming
> * Out-of-date
> * The contents of songbird-auto-nightly should replace this package's
>
> So to some up what I think is best:
>
> Replace:
> * songbird-auto-nightly -> songbird-nightly
>
> Remove:
> * songbird
> * songbird-nightly-bin
> * songbird-auto-nightly
>
>      Thanks for your time,
>      Det

That really was a mess.

Removed:
* songbird (it was an SVN package)
* songbird-auto-beta (redundant, plus the PKGBUILD contained insults directed
  at the songbird devs)
* songbird-auto-nightly (package included unused archives, a poorly written
  PKGBUID with several mistakes, and the same insults as songbird-auto-beta)
* songbird-nightly (should be songbird-nightly-bin)

I've cursorily cleaned up the songbird-auto-nightly package (removed insults,
added missing quotation marks, replaced old "$startdir" variables) and
re-uploaded it as songbird-nightly-bin, which I have left orphaned. The
PKGBUILD is still kludgy imo, but someone else can adopt it and improve it.

I've left bin32-songbird-nightly alone.

Regards,
Xyne