[aur-general] Delete Request

speps speps at gmx.com
Tue Jul 26 23:45:38 EDT 2011

On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 13:00:29 -0700
Gaetan Bisson <bisson at archlinux.org> wrote:

> My two cents: audacious2 makes it seem like it is version 2.* of
> audacious; I would name the package audacious-gtk2 instead.

There's actually no real convention about gtk{2,3} naming.
Actually some packages uses the 3 suffix like libwebkit3 or vte3,
others (on AUR) uses the -gtk{2,3} one.
The evinced rules seem like to be
if main package defaults on gtk2 && is a lib -> add suffix 3 (ex libwebkit in extra)
if main package defaults on gtk2 && is not a lib -> add suffix -gtk3 (ex pan on AUR)
if main package defaults on gtk3 -> add suffix -gtk2 (ex gnome-terminal on AUR)

I usually follow these unspoken rules for my packages,
btw the audacious2{-plugins} follows a different line,
identified with the "2" suffix.

It provides a gtk2 version of the package that does not conflicts with the gtk3 one.
To let this be possible a lot of naming have to be changed in the source package.
Since I did not found a good suffix for meaning this (-gtk2-no-conflict, -coexist ?)
I thought the unused ${pkgname}2 would have been perfect and far from ambiguity
(since pkgver=3.0)

I did the same with evince2 on AUR, but in that case there's also the version
matching as a good reason (2.32.0), even if there was an evince-gtk yet.

Btw, if you think the audacious{,-plugins}-gtk2 and evince2-gtk2 solution
fits better for meaning the coexistence possibility, feel free to delete 'em.

Otherwise, you're right, some misunderstanding could occur and maybe a clarification
in the description would help and can be pushed.

-- speps --