[aur-general] Putting android development packages into [community]

Ray Rashif schiv at archlinux.org
Thu Jun 9 16:56:12 EDT 2011

On 10 June 2011 04:19, Sven-Hendrik Haase <sh at lutzhaase.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm playing with the idea of pulling the android packages into [community].
> They seem to be in strong demand but so far their maintenance track in AUR
> has been fairly inconsistent.
>
> I'd like opinions on this because they have a rather large amount of votes.
> There have been license concerns about this endeavor but I think they are
> unfounded as all Android stuff (not including externals) is Apache license
> and thus ok to redistribute.
> Also, I'd like to know whether anybody thinks that instead of just
> repackaging the binaries, building from source would be preferable.

I'm a big proponent of this, so +1. I was hesitant about the
redistribution because I did not come across any distro redistributing
the suite on their repos. However, a quick e-mail to Google would
solve this.

Building from source would be useless and too cumbersome. Remember
that all this suite is about is (1) the SDK, (2) accompanying platform
libraries (currently 8 of them), (3) some accompanying tools (like
plug-ins for Eclipse).

I would like to propose an 'android-development' group (alongside
other probable android groups that may include stuff for end-users
like gmote-server), which would comprise:

1. android-sdk
2. android-sdk-platform-tools
3. android-{1.5,1.6,2.1,2.2,2.3,2.3.3,3.0,3.1)
4. eclipse-android
5. udev-android-rules (not sure if this is really needed)
6. android-ndk

Plus accompanying platform docs and examples. And anything else I
might've missed. Basically, one group to start developing for Android.

One may argue that there is no need to include the platforms, their
docs and examples, as they can be downloaded with the AVD Manager.
However, I say that it makes life for the developer on Arch Linux much
easier. You can pacman -S everything and start Eclipse, put in the
Android path, configure the AVD, and you're all set. Also, this way,
the setup is very portable since you can deploy this same environment
on another Arch Linux system very quickly when you have the packages
cached. In short, I'm thinking "offline setup".

--
GPG/PGP ID: 8AADBB10