[aur-general] AUR 1.8.1 - Can No Longer Upload Packages

Dave Reisner d at falconindy.com
Sun Mar 13 23:08:06 EDT 2011

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 04:03:45AM +0100, Heiko Baums wrote:
> Am Sun, 13 Mar 2011 22:58:21 -0400
> schrieb Dave Reisner <d at falconindy.com>:
>
> > Absolutely not. ${var} is identical to $var in every way except one:
> >
> >  $varfoo != ${var}foo
> >
> > The curly braces otherwise provide zero differentiation in expansion
> > rules when used in this fashion.
>
> You're wrong again. ${variable} is the same as "$variable".
>
> From `man bash`:
> ${parameter}
> The  value of parameter is substituted.  The braces are
> required when parameter is a positional parameter with more than one
> digit, or when parameter is followed by a character which is not to be
> interpreted as part of its name.
>
> Heiko

I don't see how that absolves you from word splitting during expansion.
Rather, it enforces the point I made about $varfoo versus ${var}foo.
Since / is not a valid character in a variable name, the var name ends
before it. How about you do a simple test?

$ var="foo bar"
$ touch ${var}

How many files were created? Remember this is bash, not ZSH.

dave