[aur-general] New file "/etc/rc?"

Rafael Beraldo rberaldo at cabaladada.org
Tue May 3 19:24:05 CEST 2011

On 3 May 2011 13:56, Yaro Kasear <yaro at marupa.net> wrote:

> I'm a tad confused about the purpose of /etc/rc. It says its used for the
> control of daemons and starting and stopping them. Does this mean its
> replacing the daemons array or something? And with the starting and
> stopping
> of daemons... is this for automation or something.
>
> The news page doesn't really offer that much explanation about this new
> file.

I'm not sure but it sounds like the service command Ubuntu (I don't know
about Debian) uses. The syntax is pretty simple:

service ssh start

starts /etc/init.d/sshd. I haven't used /sbin/rc yet but I feel it works the
same way. It won't affect the daemons array, it's just a way of starting,
restarting and stopping daemons whilst the system is running.

--
Rafael Beraldo
http://devio.us/~rberaldo/