[aur-general] changing a PKG's name and retaining votes/comments

D. Can Celasun dcelasun at gmail.com
Tue May 31 17:07:02 EDT 2011

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 11:46 PM, Eric Bélanger <snowmaniscool at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 3:53 PM, member graysky <graysky at archlinux.us>
> wrote:
> > I maintain the kernel26-ck in the AUR.  Once the devs decide on a new
> > name for the kernel package based on the upcoming "3.0" release,
> > either "linux" or "kernel" or "kernel30" or whatever, is it possible
> > to change the name of my "kernel26-ck" PKG and retain all of the
> > comments/votes it has under the current name?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> It's not possible. You'll need to submit the new package to AUR, then
> send a note on this ML to have the old one removed.

If this is not technically possible (which is kinda hard to believe), it
should be implemented. I don't care about the votes, but comments are
usually extremely relevant to the package (and very much useful) and they
shouldn't be lost just because changing a single string in a db is "not
possible". We already lost countless useful comments on AUR before, let's
not do it again.