[aur-general] Orphan Request: eclipse-dltk-* packages maintained by emphire

Shanto shanto at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 1 21:10:19 EDT 2011

On 11/02/2011 06:00 AM, Jon Wiersma wrote:
> Hi Shanto.
>
> I've been pretty busy and haven't had a chance to update my packages for a bit.
>
> I would like to see whomever is responsible for the eclipse-dltk-*
> packages also maintain the following packages as well:
>
> - eclipse-antlr-runtime
> - eclipse-dtp
> - eclipse-h2-database
> - eclipse-pdt
> - eclipse-pdt-debugger
> - eclipse-rse
> - eclipse-wtp

I use all of these packages.

> The reason for this is that these eclipse plugins all depend on each
> other in one way or another and it's hard to get several people to
> co-oridnate releases so they all work at once. Especially eclipse-pdt.

That's very much true.

> Let me know if you're willing and able to handle all of these
> packages, keep them more up to date than I am and

I am willing to, but I should mention about some of my limitations
before that:

1. I am not a Java guy. (but I know eclipse from outside well).
2. My Internet is a bit slow if you consider the size of eclipse
packages. I still try to keep my installations up-to-date. As a
maintainer, you may have to quickly download and test different
versions/release types - which may not go well with this limitation of mine.

Other than these, I try to respond quickly when people marks/comments my
packages out of date. I get remote shells to compensate where necessary.
Simple release updates with version/url/checksum bumps goes fast. Only
testing gets delayed. (However, does that matter much? Arch/AUR users
are naturally testers. If I miss one, someone else will notice it and
ask me to fix.)

And, I am a eclipse fan. Its bloated, slow and whatnot. But still
there's no better tightly integrated all-rounder. Yeah, Zend could put
some more care on PDT if you take into consideration their PDT
originated sales, but otherwise, eclipse is great.

 > make sure that whoever takes them over after you will do the same

Will do.

> and I'll try to co-ordinate a time to orphan them with you so you can grab them all.

Can we have a TU help us on this?

> If not, I'll update them soon.

I just summarized above my advantages and limitations. Now you balance
them with yours. If you think that can do better, lets have some TU help us.

Thanks,
Shanto