[aur-general] TU Application - Massimiliano Torromeo

Sven-Hendrik Haase sh at lutzhaase.com
Sat Oct 8 11:55:04 EDT 2011

Massimiliano Torromeo <massimiliano.torromeo at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

Sven-Hendrik Haase is sponsoring my application as a trusted user.

I thought about applying as a TU for some time now, I think the
selection of packages provided by Arch is already great but there is
always space for additional quality software in community and I hope
to help with that.

Here's a little background about myself:
I'm a 28yr old italian guy, working as a system administrator and
developer at a company that provides web-services, hosting and housing
solutions.

I first tried linux out of curiosity back when Mandriva was still
called Mandrake, but I didn't like it at all and the RPM system made
me cry tears of blood.
I didn't linux again for a couple of years and then I tried gentoo. I
was at my last year of high school and, being already a developer at
heart, I wasn't scared but rather really interested by its packaging
system that required extensive time of compilation but providing
extreme customization possibilities at the same time.
That was the time when I finally dropped Windows for good and I kept
using gentoo for years as my primary os, while only checking out other
distros every once in a while. In all this years I tried many other
distributions both out of personal curiosity and for work: Suse, Red
Hat, Fedora, CentOS, [K]Ubuntu, Mint, Debian, Slackware, Oracle Linux
and of course Arch! plus some BSDs (FreeBSD and Mac OSX), but I still
like Arch the best.

Like I said, I am a developer at heart and I released some
applications [1] as opensource, first as GPL but I then became more of
a BSD/MIT guy.
The most successful of them all has been a grafical frontend for
embedded devices such as gaming handhelds which I developed (using
SDL/C++) initially for the GP2X [2] but was later ported to many other
devices by other developers/communities, called GMenu2X [3].

I am a confident developer who loves the Python language, but I also
user very often PHP, C++, Bash (for scripts of course) and other
languages.
My work as a system administrator involves installing and configuring
machines (Arch based whenever possible) with a variety of server
softwares, and that's where I will probably focus as a TU.
I already maintain a private repository of packages that help me keep
the aforementioned machines up-to-date.

>From this packages I selected an initial list of what I plan to move
to community:

- percona-server
- mariadb (refactored to replace mysql, unlike the one in AUR. See [4])
- nagios-nrpe
- nagios-plugins
- nmon
- ttf-ubuntu-font-family
- rt3562sta
- arp-scan
- e4rat
- mtop
- php-mongo
- pngcrush
- supervisor
- vdfuse
- vbox-runner

You can see on the AUR [5] and on github [6] that I have written
already a pretty long list of PKGBUILDs including the popular dropbox.

If you have any question, just ask.

Thanks!

[1] https://github.com/mtorromeo/
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GP2X
[3] http://mtorromeo.github.com/gmenu2x/
[4] https://github.com/mtorromeo/archlinux-packages/tree/master/mariadb-mysql-replacement
[5] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?SeB=m&K=mtorromeo
[6] https://github.com/mtorromeo/archlinux-packages

5 full days have passed the land.
The vote to decide Massimiliano's fate is at hand.
What will we decide?
Judgement will be applied.
Please vote, I hope you'll understand.

https://aur.archlinux.org/tu.php?id=51