[aur-general] Orphaning mediatomb

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Mon Oct 24 04:10:54 EDT 2011

On Sun, 23 Oct 2011 22:06:02 -0600
Mike Bedwell <pcallycat at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/23/2011 09:10 PM, Jonathan Conder wrote:
> > On 24 October 2011 01:42, Dieter Plaetinck<dieter at plaetinck.be>
> > wrote:

> >> why would you delete the package?
> >> I still use MT.  orphan as you want, but it's not because upstream
> >> is inactive that you should remove the package IMHO.
> > I was under the impression that it didn't currently work, but on
> > closer inspection it looks like one of the bugs was invalid. Maybe
> > it should stay then, but unless someone is willing to maintain it I
> > think we should encourage new users to look for an alternative (by
> > removing it from the repos).
> >
> >> Dieter
> I'm just a noob to the lists, but I don't understand why
> non-maintained mediatomb equates to a package that is no longer
> relevant to anyone. Unless it is severely broken, I would think that
> many would appreciate it continuing on in the repos.  At worst, don't
> delete it, but relegate it to AUR instead.  I use mediatomb in my
> home and would hate to see a loss of the package.  In aur, most are
> aware that, "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit".

Btw, i falsely assumed that MT was already in AUR and Jonathan planned to remove it from AUR.
so I'm not sure what exactly he meant with "dropping" then... removing from the repo but not uploading in AUR?
that only means someone else will create a new PKGBUILD and upload it to AUR. you could save that person some work :)

Dieter