[aur-general] TU Application

Ray Rashif schiv at archlinux.org
Mon Sep 5 12:46:09 EDT 2011

On 4 September 2011 05:14, Philipp Überbacher <hollunder at lavabit.com> wrote:
> Being an audio person I've had a look at the first audio app in the list
> (cheesetracker) and I'm not entirely happy with the PKGBUILD. There's
> the minor thing that 'jack-audio-connection-kit' is just 'jack' since a
> couple of months. While I'm happy that you seemingly managed to get
> cheesetracker to build and while the 'addinclude' method is probably
> easy for packagers it's a very weird way to do things. Firstly it's
> an additional dependency from AUR, secondly it depends on another
> language that isn't wide spread yet (GO) while the same effect could be
> had without anything special (patch). To me this looks very much like an
> unnecessary 'because I can'-thing that makes installing the package more
> complicated than it needs to be.

And I can see that Alexander may be the tracker type.

Well, I have to agree with Philipp, and as has been told for
generations, a patch is much cleaner and is what we like to see over
multiple sed lines or a non-standard tool like 'addinclude' or
'setconf'. I'd pick clean-and-consistent over convenience, and I
believe that is the Arch Way I speak for. Your way is, of course, not
_wrong_ per se, as you would only have an additional (buildtime)
dependency. One may or may not choose to follow standard practices,
suggestions or recommendations.

Otherwise, packages mostly look good, and whatever deficiency you
might have right now, I'm sure for the kind of person you are (like
most of us troo Archers; just maybe more awesome) you'll pick things
up as you go ;)

I have a recommendation TODO for you:

1. milkytracker (we lack a tracker in the repos and is the most
popular of the bunch)

2. shedskin (very useful)

Also, I would like to say 'pruss one awesome' to your application and
profile/background.

--
GPG/PGP ID: 8AADBB10