[aur-general] Mandatory comment along with OOD-flag

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Wed Sep 14 06:42:40 EDT 2011

Excerpts from nem's message of 2011-09-13 11:41:56 +0200:

> good day!
>
> recently i experienced some wild out-of-date flagging without any
> comments or even backupped reasons for codelite [1] from different
> users (even multiple times by the same) over the past two weeks.
> someone has been kind enough to help me unflagging these.
>
> however this is not only very annoying without any reasons (comments or
> email of the flaggers) whatsoever but also kind of lighted some concern
> about the carelessness of how people are flagging. they don't seem to
> even read the latest comments of the package or try to get a grasp of
> their reasoning ([1] is the stable version. they probably want the svn
> version which is also available).
>
> i thought about that and putting a fulltext description in the pkg-desc
> field is probably not what it's meant to be. so what came to my mind
> was a mandatory comment along with flagging to get an idea, why the
> person thinks it's out of date.
> that would make them think before flagging and also make them come back
> and read the response and not flag it out-of-date again.
>
> anyone else having similar issues? or am i overreacting here?
>
> regards,
> nem

I think you just had bad luck. There are people who make an error when
flagging out of date, but at least in my experience this happens rarely.
Most of the time it's legit and the reason is obvious (new release). If
the reason is non-obvious then the 'flagger' can leave a normal comment.
Luckily the relatively new default on AUR is that the maintainer gets
notified in case of a new comment, so you'll get a mail and all is well.
However, my experience is with a larger number of not so popular
packages, it's not necessarily the same as with few popular ones.
So again, I think this was bad luck. See whether this annoyance keeps
going on or not. If it does keep up we should think about a change.

Regards,
Philipp