[aur-general] Putting mariadb into community

Ángel Velásquez angvp at archlinux.org
Wed Sep 28 09:49:44 EDT 2011

2011/9/28 Massimiliano Torromeo <massimiliano.torromeo at gmail.com>:
> Hi.

Hi Massimiliano, thanks for joining the conversation.

> Being a sysadmin with a lot of experience on database servers I
> thought I would share my experience on this case.

Sven. that kind of guy is who should maintain a package like that
(*tsk* ask him if he want to be a TU *tsk*).

> I'm using mariadb as a MySQL replacement on a few servers using a
> custom package[1] that uses standard mysql paths and configurations.
> I've had a few inconsistencies with mysql in certain cases. MariaDB
> seemed to be afflicted by old bugs that were fixed on MySQL.
> On the other hand I never had a problem using percona-server [2], even
> though it took me a while to tweak the package to be a functional
> replacement.

I said to the guys on #archlinux-tu channel that check percona, i've
used it a year ago and ran some tests and got better performance than
mysql and mariadb, again, that was on our environment we're far to
know if this is the same in all the cases.

> Obviously the tipycal environments in which I deployed this servers do
> not cover all possible situations. For instance, I don't know if they
> play nicely with kde (amarok uses an embedded mysql server, akonadi
> spawns a mysql server to store its data).

Yes, Andrea (the actually mysql maintainer and one of the KDE
maintainer) should try this, cc'ing him. I think he is aware, but just
in case.

--
Angel Velásquez
angvp @ irc.freenode.net