[aur-general] Fwd: [pacman-dev] Help adding support for BZR, CVZ, DARCS to makepkg

Menachem Moystoviz moystovi at g.jct.ac.il
Wed Aug 1 07:05:36 EDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 5:10 PM, Markus Unterwaditzer
<markus at unterwaditzer.net> wrote:
> Am I understanding this correctly when I read that makepkg is going to have sort of native support for VCS?
>
> -- Markus
>
> Dave Reisner <d at falconindy.com> wrote:
>
>>Forwarding to aur-general, as there's likely a larger corpus of people
>>who could potentially be affected by this...
>>
>>Allan's a bit overly dramatic about this -- the current (old) PKGBUILDs
>>will continue to mostly work, but I would expect that they'll break in
>>quiet and interesting ways (e.g. pkgver won't be updated).
>>
>>----- Forwarded message from Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> -----
>>
>>> Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 21:57:34 +1000
>>> From: Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org>
>>> To: Discussion list for pacman development <pacman-dev at archlinux.org>
>>> Subject: [pacman-dev] Help adding support for BZR, CVZ, DARCS to
>>makepkg
>>>
>>> On my VCS branch, makepkg now supports git, svn and hg.  That
>>accounts
>>> for ~91.5% of all VCS PKGBUILDs in the AUR.  Here are rough AUR
>>package
>>> counts for those that are interested:
>>>
>>> git: 4002
>>> svn: 1771
>>> hg: 498
>>> bzr: 364
>>> cvs: 186
>>> darcs: 29
>>>
>>> I will write the code to add bzr, cvs and darcs support back, but I
>>need
>>> help given I know nothing about these systems.
>>>

>>> What I will need:
>>>
>>> 1) How to checkout a repo to a given folder
>>>
>>> 2) What url "fragments" need supported (e.g. git can build from a
>>> branch, tag or commit; svn can build from a given revision).
>>>
>>> 3) How to create a working copy of the checked out repo (i.e. "copy"
>>the
>>> primary checkout folder) and how to get it to the specified
>>> branch/tag/commit/whatever.  That can be in all one step.
>>>

>>> makepkg will not support these protocols with pacman-4.1 if I don't
>>get
>>> that information (or someone else does not provide a patch).
>>>
>>> Allan
>>>

>>----- End forwarded message -----

As Markus said, is there native support in makepkg for VCSs (i.e. git,
bzr, hg, darcs, svn,...) or is this just a discussion regarding a
feature request?
If it's the former, how come it's not documented in the wiki? It would
simplify my git PKGBUILDS greatly.
If it's the latter, then I'm very interested, and am willing to
provide any assistance needed - just point me to the code.