[aur-general] Looking for a sponsor

Sven-Hendrik Haase sh at lutzhaase.com
Thu Aug 9 03:56:56 EDT 2012

On 08/09/2012 12:56 AM, jsteel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In October 2011 I sent an email to register my interest in becoming a
> TU [1] (thinking that was the next step to get involved) and I
> received some helpful responses of how I can be more involved with
> Arch, without jumping in as a TU right away.
>
> Over the last 10 months my AUR packages have continued to grow as I
> found time to look after more. I currently maintain 58 packages [2]. I
> often get in contact with upstream to help with any queries or issues
> and feel that I do a good job staying on top of everything. I'm not on
> IRC much, but I keep a very close eye on mailing lists, the forum and
> what's going on in the AUR. Generally I stay quiet and get on with it
> and only make a noise if necessary or to help someone.
>
> I am hoping for some further guidance now, and hopefully for a TU to
> take me under their wing to get me closer to becoming a TU, as I would
> love to maintain some of my packages in [community] such as
> gsimplecal, partclone, obkey, scratch and some games, and also some
> packages I do not maintain like dvdbackup and clonezilla. I am a fast
> learner so should not be much of a burden.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> jsteel
>
> [1] http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-general/2011-October/016278.html
> [2] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?O=0&K=jsteel&do_Search=Go&detail=1&C=0&SeB=m&SB=n&SO=a&PP=100&outdated=

Hi Jonathan,

Can you provide some links to your upstream contributions (patches, pull
requests, bug reports)?

I think it's ok if you are not too noisy on the ML or the forums but you
should have excellent response times in case you become TU. Your AUR
packages really do have quite a few votes. I noticed you still have ||
return 1s in there. You should delete those as this is now default
behaviour.

I also noticed that while you have adopted quite a few packages, you
only ever submitted 3. That is ok since there are already many packages
in AUR and it doesn't really need further bloating but do you know how
to write a PKGBUILD from scratch? You also haven't even cleaned up some
packages you adopted and it some it still has the old guy as the
maintainer. You should definitely spend some time on your packages there
and at least build/upload them once with your data as opposed to just
clicking "adopt".

If you clean your packages following my above suggestions, I might
sponsor you.

-- Sven-Hendrik