[aur-general] My first PKGBUILD, need some guidance

Kwpolska kwpolska at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 06:48:19 EDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 10:17 AM, Martin Cigorraga <msx at archlinux.us> wrote:
> On 14 August 2012 04:13, Stefan J. Betz <info at stefan-betz.net> wrote:
>
>> Am 2012-08-14 04:03:28 -0300, Martin Cigorraga schrieb:
>> > Unlike most application Zeya does not need to be compiled to run, just
>> run
>> > it's main Python file and that's all, so, how should I proceed?
>>
>> /usr/bin is only for executables, scripts... not for any Data files.
>>

> Understood.
>

>> A possible way:
>> Move required files (not the wohl git clone) to /usr/share/zeya and symlink
>> from /usr/bin/zeya to /usr/share/zeya/zeya.py. Keep in mind that zeya.py
>> must
>>

> Excelent, I had this in mind but I were not sure where to put the data
> files - not the full git clone, of course.
>

>> use the right python Version (python2 or python3).
>>

> I already have the needed sed to change every #!/usr/bin/python for our
> #!/usr/bin/python2
>

>> Greetings
>> Stefan Betz
>>

> Thank you very much!
>

> --
> -msx

I suggest taking a look at the [Ubuntu package][0], or, if you can
read the messy Debian package creation stuff, [the messy Debian
package creation stuff][1].  In a nutshell: /usr/bin/zeya = zeya.py
file, everything else in /usr/share/zeya.  Mind you, this is NOT the
Pythonic way of doing that, and the maintainer is an idiot.  A regular
python package would use /usr/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages/zeya/,
containing all the .py files, and /usr/bin/zeya, which just imports
the python module and runs it.  I suggest telling the maintainer to do
it right, including a setup.py file.  This idiot uses Launchpad and
self-hosted stuff, so it’s nothing weird that it sucks so bad.

[0]: http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/zeya
[1]: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/quantal/+source/zeya/0.6-1/+files/zeya_0.6-1.debian.tar.gz
--
Kwpolska <http://kwpolska.tk>
stop html mail      | always bottom-post