[aur-general] TU Application - Jonathan Steel

Florian Pritz bluewind at xinu.at
Sun Aug 26 05:47:58 EDT 2012

On 25.08.2012 23:48, Jonathan Steel wrote:
> I feel I do a good job staying on top of everything. I often check
> through my packages to see if there are any updates

You should take a look at w3watch

> I use i686, x86_64 and arm architectures.

Are you using Arch ARM (I guess so, but better ask to be sure) or
something else?

> I'm good with BASH, sed, AWK and diff/patch and I have an interest to
> learn C, python and pearl.

perl[1] or PEARL[2]?

> Outside of Arch, I'm 27 and live in Buckinghamshire England. I work
> at a school as an IT Manager, managing approximately 500 computers
> and laptops, a VMware setup and approximately 1,100 users. I've
> basically set up the current system single-handedly.

Any chance you'll switch those to Arch? :)

I'm not sure what software you're using at school, but here all we did
was learn how to type, use a webbrowser, write
text/spreadsheets/presentations, edit images, learn a bit of php, html
and c++. Tipp10, firefox, libreoffice, gimp and vim would have done just
fine and knowing that something like imagemagick + bash exists would
have been pretty awesome.

> Thank you for reading my application. At least I hope you can advise
> where I can improve so I am a better applicant next time.

You don't really think you'll need a third try, do you?

[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perl
[2]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PEARL_%28programming_language%29

--
Florian Pritz