[aur-general] TU Application - Jonathan Steel

Jonathan Steel mail at jsteel.org
Sun Aug 26 09:10:29 EDT 2012

On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 01:54:11PM +0200, Florian Pritz wrote:
> On 26.08.2012 12:20, Jonathan Steel wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 11:47:58AM +0200, Florian Pritz wrote:
> >> I'm not sure what software you're using at school
> >
> > Do you mean what I use or what is being used/taught in the classroom?
>
> Yeah, but I just wanted to use that as an introduction for the rest of
> the paragraph and make it clear that it might not apply to your use cases.

MS Office is widely used. Scratch, Scribus and OpenProj are probably the most popular FOSS we run. Now and again we look at what else would be of use and make that available. Some also learn some HTML, PHP and MySQL and look at operating systems in later years.

It is good to introduce people to FOSS early on so it's great to be in a position with the ability to help do this.

I use Arch on my work computer with Windows in a VM on a second screen. Our Intranet web server also runs Arch.

Jonathan