[aur-general] Building polly-b-gone

alexander.r at gmx.com alexander.r at gmx.com
Mon Dec 10 17:18:46 EST 2012

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 10:34:47PM +0100, SanskritFritz wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 1:30 PM,  <alexander.r at gmx.com> wrote:
> >> please comment on my hack to symlink libGLEW.so
> >
> > Please do not do such thing. If binary version of package depends on
> > outdated version of library, rebuild this package from source. If source
> > version of package is incompatible with newer version of library, patch
> > it or link it statically with older version of library.
> >
> >> and on demonicmaniac's comment about adding -lGLU to
> >> LDFLAGS in the makefile. I searched google about -lGLU and understand
> >> that it would be needed for OpenGL usage. But the game builds and runs
> >> fine here without that flag, so why should I patch the makefile?
> >
> > If it worked earlier, it should continue to work without additional
> > hacks. If it is linked against GLU, add "glu" to package dependencies.
>
> Well, patching the makefile with -lGLU solved the problem, no need to
> symlink libGLEW anymore. Can you please explain the reason?
---end quoted text---

I am not sure about exact reason, but this may be related to two events:

1) Introducing --as-needed linker option by default in Arch (see this [1] Fedora article for
explanation) - happend long time ago

2) Splitting GLU in separate package from Mesa - recent (compared to previous change)

In the past GLU was tightly integrated in Mesa and game developer probably didn't consider it
separate dependency from libGL, worth explicitly linking to.

[1]: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/UnderstandingDSOLinkChange
[2]: http://www.mail-archive.com/mesa-dev@lists.freedesktop.org/msg26003.html
--
My AUR packages - https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?SeB=m&K=AlexanderR