[aur-general] A TU keeps removing harmless and relevant comments from my package's webpage

keenerd keenerd at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 09:05:59 EST 2012

On 12/18/12, Xavion <xavion.0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I didn't ignore your comment; I responded to it within a day.

You did not modify the pkgbuild to match the best practices that TUs
recommend.  My apologies for confusing "not acting on" with
"ignoring".

> By the way, thanks for attempting to pick faults with eight of my PKGBUILDs
> overnight.  Forgive me for thinking that you've got even more spare time on
> your hands than Alexander does.

Yes, that is our job.  We are supposed to keep the AUR a safe place
for people.  Your pkgbuilds are well outside the norm of acceptable.
And I'd rather fix the worst of your habits now, instead of stretching
it out.

> Also, where does it say on the ArchWiki
> that small Bash scripts must be housed outside of the tarball?

Unfortunately it appears the "AUR User Guidelines" page has been
removed from the wiki.  It contained general suggestions such as not
including binaries or source files in the tarball.

I've been trying to give you the benefit of the doubt.  Several other
Trusted Users have wanted to simply delete your crap and would have if
I did not take the time to rework popular-packages.  But you are
actively refusing to clean up your pkgbuilds.  You are generally going
out of your way to make your pkgbuilds confusing.  Here are some
examples, which I had commented on and which you are being
argumentative over:

> http://J7Z.Xavion.name

Using a third-party redirector when there is a perfectly good URL.
There is no reason to do this, except to spy on the people clicking
the link.

> ""${srcdir}"/${pkgname}-${pkgver}"

Misleading quoting.  $srcdir is not actually quoted here, and many
users with a poor understanding of Bash would miss that.

> pkgname=${company}-${product}
> url="https://secure.${company}.com/UK/products/${product}/"

Over use of variable substitution.  Once again, confusing things for
the people who use your packages.  The only reason for variable
substitution is to reduce the amount of work you need to do when
updating a package.  It is also considered good form to preface custom
variables with an underscore or two, to avoid nuking variables in use
by makepkg.

Right now you are walking a line between malicious and incompetent.
Please clean up your packages.

-Kyle