[aur-general] Compiling emacs lisp files

Mika Fischer mika.fischer at zoopnet.de
Tue Dec 18 14:37:43 EST 2012

Hi,

I'm currently maintaining the ninja package on the AUR [1]. Recently,
there has been an issue about which I'd like to ask for your advice:

ninja contains an files for emacs to support edititng the rules files
of ninja. A user suggested that I compile the provided .el file to an
.elc file. I did that, but then other users complained about the
build-dependency on emacs. Now another user suggested that in the
PKGBUILD, I should check whether emacs is installed and only then
compile the .el file. I'm not totally opposed to this, but it feels a
bit strange that the package is different, depending on the system
it's built on.

What would you do in this situation?

Thanks in advance!

Best,